On the 9th Floor..

On the 9th Floor... main photo
So, I work on the 9th floor of a 10 story office building. Normally this isn't a bad thing. We have a semi-nice view of the city from up here, which depending on the weather is kinda pretty.

When it isn't nice to work on the 9th floor is when someone decides to burn their popcorn in the microwave setting off the fire alarms.

I'm a government employee, and as such I have the traditional figure of such. Round. I'm not in shape by any means, nor are most of the people who work here. I'm just lucky I'm not one of the ones who also has ankle/knee problems. On average I walk maybe 1 mile a day, mostly just to and from my car as I have to park 3 blocks from my building. So it isn't like I never move, but 9 flights of stairs for me is just painful. The worst part is that it wasn't painful while actually walking down them, or over the block to our meeting place. They started getting soar about 30 minutes later and getting worse the rest of the day. Now, 3 days later I'm still in pain. Every time I stand up my legs feel like jello. I feel so much older than I am.

Because of this I thought to myself, "Heck, if I just walk down the stairs each day when I go home I'd get in at least a little bit better shape." Then I walked down 1 flight on a routine mail check and decided I'd better wait for a day when I know my legs aren't going to collapse out from under me.

But that is my new goal for now. Walk down the stairs on my way home at least once a week to start. It'll be painful, but in the long run it'll be worth it if I can get myself back to a reasonable weight.

Comments