Facebook Games or Where Has My Life Gone?

Facebook games seem to be the "thing" to do right now. Nearly everyone has a Facebook account, even those of the older generations who may not completely understand what it is. And what better way to make sure people spend as much time on the system as possible but to create addictive, time consuming games where the only way to get the best items is to either buy Facebook credits to purchase the items or to get an insane amount of friends to play with you and help unlock the goodies.

I told myself for a long time that I would not get sucked into playing these games. Farmville never sounded fun to me and the Sorority Life that my sisters play seemed akin to playing with Barbie's again. But I failed. Miserably. I have some friends who play a few of the games to support a friend. Their good friend got a job working for Crowdstar Games who makes 6 or 7 games for Facebook. In hearing them talk about the games I decided to try them out. Big mistake! Now I'm addicted to them! Everyday now I have to feed my fish, feed the animals in my zoo, collect the coins from my island and go blow up pirate ships! And on weekends I do this at least twice a day when at home.

My hubby made fun of me for weeks every time he would hear the music from the games. In Happy Aquarium he now knows the music that plays when I mate 2 of the fish and calls it "fish sexy time". I even stole his account and played the games there to send myself items in all the games. But I have my revenge! A couple weeks ago he found that there is a version of Dragon Ages for Facebook and since he has played through both full versions of it he decided to give it ago. Well that game is one where you only have so much energy to use at a time then you have to wait for it to refill, so one day while he was waiting he bounced over to the other games I'd started on his account. He seems to like Mighty Pirates the best, but he still opens the other games at least once every day also. After weeks of making fun of me he is now playing the games himself! He feeds his fish, takes care of his Zoo Paradise to the point that he is actually expanding and improving it, and of course he has now passed me in levels in Mighty Pirates.

We both spend way to much time on the computer but there are worse things we could be doing. And so far we've resisted spending money on any of the games. Though I have been really really tempted.

Comments

  1. With all the terrible things that me or my husband could be doing...I am pretty happy that we are both boring enough to play games for fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit to being a Farmville addict. Every time I try to quit, I fail LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem with the games; I never did Farmville but Castle Age ate a lot of my time. Then one day, I just stopped. I never went back to them. I'm amazed at how much time I have now. I get tempted when I pass through to check my profile, but I stay away. I also never spent money on them, but the amount of time they suck up surprised me. Not saying they are bad, it's just that with everything I need to be doing, I don't have the time to go down to th efarm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by to check out the blog- thanks for following! Secondly- I can't say I know what you mean because I refuse to even start playing those games. I just know if I started I would never get off the computer. I just hide all of the invitations, etc. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those games never have hooked me in. My youngest G/Daughter got me to start playing Farmville, but a couple of times of playing and I was bored silly.

    Much rather play playstation or wii.

    ReplyDelete
  6. best thing I ever did is to decide to quit playing them. Even though i would rarely spend actual money, the time they sucked up was amazing. Still tempted, but I remember why I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For about 12 months I have stuck into games in facebook.

    Then I decide it. In one day I lock all the games at once...

    NO more farmville, no more fishville, no more MafiaWars...

    It was really easy... Once you stop reading notifications about the games it's nothing... Really...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you chose to not log in to post a comment please at least leave a name in the name field. Thank you!