PAPER OWL

A few weeks ago, my sister sent me a text letting me know that my niece really likes owls right now and that I should make her an owl picture for her birthday at the beginning of April. I agreed, but it took me some time to decide how I wanted to do it. Not keeping a ton of art supplies around the house I also needed to keep my costs down. I decided against painting as, well, I'm not that good at it. My second thought was to use either pastels or oil pastels, but that just seemed messy. So I decided on paper. Then I decided to use patterned paper to make it more interesting. I had to make this up as I went along as I couldn't find any projects similar that people had already done online.

Picture

I started out by buying a large pack of scrap booking paper. I also bought a few single sheets so that I would have brown and white as there was none in the pack.

Picture

I forgot to take pictures of the next step, but I took a piece of foam board and cut it to the size I wanted and wrapped one of the pages of paper around it, gluing it down. This was my base. I just wrapped the paper on like wrapping a package. Then I cut out my owl piece by piece and tracing around them on the backs of the colors I wanted for that bit. I used scissors and an craft knife for the cutting to have a bit more control. I also used scrap booking glue for the pages to make sure it wouldn't discolor any of it and would have a permanent hold.

Picture

Picture

Picture

Picture

Pretty simple right?

Picture

Again, I forgot to keep taking pictures, so here is the finished product!


I'm very happy with how it turned out. I've not given it to her yet, but I'm sure she'll like it. I'll add an update later showing her reaction if I can get a picture.

Comments

Post a Comment

If you chose to not log in to post a comment please at least leave a name in the name field. Thank you!