Leave it on the Desk

Because the Law office is behind a locked door and I'm their reception, documents for their office are often left with me. Pretty normal right?
The ladies in the Law office log all mail that enters and leaves their office. The reason for this is of course in case something important goes missing they can immediately say if they received it or not or if it has left their office. Pretty logical. And in the log they write down specific information. Who the documents is for, who specifically hand delivered it, what office it came from, and what it is. Knowing that they want all of this information, when something is delivered that doesn't have it written on it, I would ask for names and write them on a note to attach to the documents. I would then call into their office to let them know I have something at my desk for them to pick up at their convenience.

First thing this morning when checking my email I have one from my boss that was sent right at the end of the day on Friday that I didn't see before leaving. It was letting me know that the Law office would like for me to have anyone delivering documents to be let into their office so that they can place the items on their front desk. I had been asked to do this at one point a couple months ago as one of the ladies was very busy and the others were out. As far as I knew it was a temporary thing just for that week so after that week was done I went back to the old method. Until this email it was never mentioned to me that they would like to continue it. I would have gladly had they only asked.

So I'm a bit miffed that they couldn't just ask me and had to go to my boss. But it really isn't a big deal, I'm more than happy to comply but I'm fairly certain that I'll get complaints from them about it. Most of the time when people bring documents by there is nothing on them to say who it is for or from. And I'm not going to spend the time inspecting the documents before letting them in as its wasteful. I expect I'll get questions of "Who dropped this off?" "Who is this for" etc. And my only reply will be "I don't know" because I won't know.

Now I could be wrong and I won't get those questions but seeing as how they tend to ask them even when I'm handing them the items myself if I've not put it on a note, I doubt it.

Comments