Work Background

It has been a slow week at work with out anything very interesting happening so I thought I'd give a bit of background about where I work. This way I don't have to explain it all with each post and can just refer back to this one.

I work for a fairly good sized local government. I thought about leaving out that bit, but as I work in a court house, some of the most interesting things that happen are the people that come in for court appearances. So it's relevant.

The way the organization is set up, is that there is an elected board of 5 members who are in charge of everything. They hold weekly meetings where they vote on the important decisions. They have Executive Secretaries in their office.

Under the board is the Manager. He is the head honcho and takes care of all the day to day running of things. We have an Assistant Manager also. My boss is actually the Manager's Personal Assistant and I am the only Administrative Assistant in the department. We also have 3 intern positions though only 2 are filled right now.

Our department also has a sub-department in it that shares our office, Public Relations. This department consists of their PR Director, a Media Liaison, a Projects Coordinator, a Graphic Artist and a Video Guy.

Now the last immediately relative department is the Legal Department which is directly across the hall from my office and their door is kept locked so that no one can just go in and walk around. They have 8 lawyers and 4 admin staff.

Now, I know I called myself an Admin Assistant but I'm also a receptionist. My desk sits in the hallway between my office and the Legal office. I answer phones for my department (and sub-department) as well as for Legal. Over all I have about 20 people I need to keep track of during the day so that I can properly transfer calls. I also cover phones for the Board office when both of the ladies down there need to be out. The reason my desk sits in the hall is not only so that I can let people into Legal but because we tend to get a lot of people lost on our floor looking for their court rooms.

There are two more departments on my floor, a branch of the local sheriff's office and a Projects office, but I'm not involved with anything they do other than to direct people to them.

This is just a very basic over view of where I work and who I work with. There are many other departments in our organization but they are all either on different floors or different buildings.

Comments